10 Things You Should Look for in a Real Estate Agent
Posted On Tuesday, August 02, 2016
Not all real estate agents are created equal! What makes a real estate agent rise to the top in their field? What sets a realtor above the rest in such a competitive profession? These are good questions to ask yourself and others.
When it comes to choosing a real estate professional, you may be wondering what qualities are most important. We've rounded up the essential qualities that you should look for in an agent to ensure you're getting the best service and best results in your search for your dream house or when selling your beloved home.
Here are 10 things you should look for in a real estate agent. Agents with these quintessential traits will guarantee the best overall experience possible in your real estate endeavor. They're in alphabetical order for your convenience but all hold equal weight when choosing a good real estate agent.
1. AvailableYou're going to need to have good and frequent communication with your potential agent. Therefore it makes sense that your real estate professional is available when you need them. It would benefit you to choose an agent that is working full-time in the field as opposed to a part-agent who may have other interests or responsibilities consuming their time.
Knowledge is necessary (see #4), but experience is worth its weight in gold. Like most professions, there's a learning curve in real estate. More experience translates into better results for you and the confidence of knowing you're in good hands.
3. HonestThis seems obvious but it's still worth mentioning. You want an agent who represents your best interests as a client and who is trustworthy in your endeavors. This is your future you're putting in their hands. Dealing with an honest real agent is mandatory and as the saying goes: integrity is everything.
4. KnowledgableLike any real professional, your real estate agent should be knowledgable about their field and able to answer your questions or deal with any situation that arises. Make sure your real estate agent is licensed, obviously, but also up-to-date on the market and current real estate trends. They should also be an expert in the local landscape and real estate climate of the area you're interested in.
5. PersonableYour real estate agent is not only working with you but with others, along with a myriad of business professionals throughout the real estate process of buying and/or selling. You want to have someone who is personable and can skillfully deal with others, while also exhibiting excellent communication skills. You don't want any kind of barrier to exist that impedes or complicates the process. If you sense a personality conflict, it's best to follow your gut and choose someone more compatible to work with.
6. ProactiveThe real estate market and business are very competitive. You want a proactive real estate agent who is actively pursuing your best interests. You want a go-getter with the ability to problem solve along the way, because there are always unknowns that arise in the process. You want a realtor who is ahead of the game and willing to be proactive as opposed to reactive to situations.
7. ProfessionalAll real estate professionals may not be as professional as they claim to be. Be selective. You can tell a lot from a short conversation with a potential agent. Visit their website (most agents have one these days) and see what their presence conveys both online and in person. There is no room for unprofessionalism in a field that requires the utmost in high standards.
8. ReliableThere is nothing more frustrating than a person who says they're going to do something but then does not follow through. You need a realtor who is reliable. You should be able to count on them to meet their obligations in a timely manner, consistently do what they say they're going to do, and be accountable for what services they say they're going to provide. Anything less makes them unreliable and not a person you want to do business with in this field or any other.
9. ReputableReferrals are huge in the world of real estate. You want to choose someone who has good standing in the real estate community and with their clients. Word of mouth carries a lot of weight and shouldn't be overlooked. It wouldn't hurt to Google your agent's name and see what comes up. If there are complaints or dissatisfaction, you should be informed in advance and before making your final decision when choosing your agent.
10. Tech-SavvyIn the world we live in, it's imperative that a real estate agent is savvy in the field of technology. That includes everything from your preferred method of communication (phone call, email, text) to the ability to market your property online with professional photos and descriptions. If an agent is behind the times in technology, it could negatively impact your buying or selling experience.
So what do you think of these 10 essential traits of a good real realtor? Did we capture the essence of which traits a real estate professional should possess?
If you're looking for expert real estate professionals in the Topsail, North Carolina areaŚwe happen to know a few! We think you'll find they exhibit all of the desired qualities you seek in a good realtor and more. Click here to contact one of our top-of-the-line Topsail real estate agents. You won't regret it.
We'd love to hear from you. Which qualities do you look for when choosing a realtor?